In 2012, U.S. utilities integrated nearly 2.4 Gigawatts (GW) of solar electric capacity, representing a 61 percent increase from the nearly 1.5 GW that was added in 2011 and more than triple the 781 Megawatts (MW) added in 2010 (Solar Electric Power Association, Utility Solar Rankings report, 2013).
Solar energy is on the rise, and Americans across the political spectrum are calling for more solar and more clean energy options. What’s more, utilities across the country are facing a growing number of challenges, risks, and costs inherent to the 21st century energy landscape, including increasing demands for energy efficiency, renewable energy, and workable strategies to mitigate harmful pollutants and climate degradation.
- The Solar Electric Power Association (SEPA) is an educational non-profit organization dedicated to helping utilities integrate solar energy into their portfolio; members have access to a wealth of resources, consultation, and utility peer-to-peer forums.
- Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC) is a nationally recognized thought leader, stakeholder coordinator, expert resource and facilitator of regulatory reform. IREC’s publications are a tremendous source of information on solar and distributed generation.
- U.S. Solar Market Insight – Q1 2013: comprehensive summary of the U.S. Solar Market through Q1 2013 conducted by Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) and GTM Research.
- Western Wind and Solar Integration Study (National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 2010)
- Solar Energy Grid Integration Systems (Sandia National Laboratories and Florida Solar Energy Center, 2012)
- Utah Public Service Commission Technical Conference on Solar (March 2012):
- Technical Analysis of Prospective Photovoltaic Systems in Utah (PPT)
- Technical Analysis of Prospective Photovoltaic Systems in Utah Final Sandia (Report)
- Interconnection of High Penetration PV on Distribution Circuits Circuits (PPT)
- Sandia T&D Deferment Using PV and Energy Storage _SLC Oct 2011
- Updating Interconnection PV Systems Integration (Report referenced during Technical Conference)
- Sandia National Lab Bios (Technical Conference Presenter Bios)
Solar PV Value Studies
- The Benefits and Costs of Solar Generation for Arizona Public Service (Crossboarder Energy, May 2013)
- Photovoltaics Value Analysis (Navigant Consulting Inc, 2008)
- Distributed Renewable Energy Operating Impacts and Valuation Study (R.W. Beck, Prepared for Arizona Public Service, January 2009)
- Papers on PV Load Matching and Economic Evaluation (Richard Perez)
- The Value of Distributed Photovoltaics to Austin Energy and the City of Austin (Clean Power Research, L.L.C., 2006)
- Comparison of Capacity Value Methods for Photovoltaics in the Western United States (NREL, 2012)
- Photovoltaic Capacity Valuations (Solar Electric Power Association, 2008)
Community Solar & Shared Solar
- A Guide to Community Solar: Utility, Private, and Non-Profit Project Development (NREL, 2010)
- Policy Toolkit for Shared Solar Programs (Vote Solar)
- Shared Renewables HQ (Vote Solar)
- Model Rules for Shared Renewable Energy Programs (Interstate Renewable Energy Council, 2013)
Policies & Incentives
- Existing Solar Policies and Incentives Across the U.S (Database of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency)
- Utah Solar Incentives
Net Metering & Interconnection
- Freeing The Grid: A Report Card on State Net Metering and Interconnection Standards (2012)
- Model Interconnection Procedures (IREC, 2013)
- The Intersection of Net Metering & Retail Choice: An Overview of Policy, Practice, and Issues (2010)